Sunday, July 14, 2013

Trash to Treasure Contest

 The kids and I entered projects in the Trash to Treasure Contest at the Erie National Wildlife Refuge this summer for the Summerfest.

Grace and I took a 100% wool sweater, felted it, and turned it into a cowl neck scarf and mittens.  She won first place for her age group....even though the mittens weren't the same size. (we're working on following a guide for seam allowance as she sews!)





Nathan wanted to make a snake!  So Matt's aunt collected caps from soda bottles (they drink a lot of soda and we don't) of several colors.  Matt and Nathan drilled holes in the top then Nathan threaded them on wire shaping it into a snake.   The best part was the "rattle" he made with split peas inside caps taped together.  He won 3rd place in his age group (same group as Grace).






And I used vintage pillowcase with beautiful embroidery and edge work to make a layered apron.  I didn't win anything but was more thrilled that my kiddos did!!


No comments: