I enjoy reading blogs about other families that homeschool. It is exciting to see how many other families are on this journey with us. It is inspiring to get ideas! It is encouraging to read how others have handled the challenges of homeschooling. It is a good reminder of how God has made us all "one of a kind" as there are many ways to homeschool with no one perfect way. I've been wanting to share a series of posts about "how we homeschool" to help inspire and encourage others. So here we go....
Recently, I read this blog post about fitting into a category of homeschooling...and the mom simply put it that they were "US-schooling" ... doing what worked best for them as a family.
I have adopted the "US-schooling" label because that is exactly what we do ... what is best for our family. You will see in the following posts about specific areas of our homeschooling that I pull from my experience and training as an early elementary teacher, Matt adds to our learning with his knowledge and teaching experience with science, we pull some classical education in, we do a lot of interest led learning, our love for reading adds a lot, and we play math through living math ... there is some Montessori and Charlotte Mason tossed in there too.
The most important thing we want to teach our children is to follow God and love others ... next to that I most want them to learn to learn and love it! (not a typo!) I want to inspire my children to learn not require it. I am thankful that, for us, there isn't a distinct line between life and learning ... it blends together and we all love reading, investigating, trying something new, playing games ... and more. That is why "US-schooling" works for us.
Side note ... this is our third year homeschooling and each year has evolved and is a constant work in progress ... and I hope it remains this way as we are always changing and growing.
Read on my friends ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hello Angie. I love this series. I share many of your educational and family values - though I'm not quite as organised as you!
I especially enjoyed seeing your science and living maths projects.
Thank you also for sharing all your Christmas photos. It looks like you had lots of loving family time.
We also had both sides of the family to us - 19 in total. It was full-on - and wonderful! I'm looking forward to following your us-schooling adventures in 2015.
Post a Comment