Thursday, January 13, 2011

From Leftovers to New Meals

Sunday for family dinner with Matt's parents, I made a rump roast with mashed potatos/gravy and broccoli casserole. We had roast and potatos leftover so ....

I made baked potato soup, using our mashed potatos ... used some bread I had made to make these homemade croutons for on the soup.

And the roast turned into beef paprika that I served over egg noodles.
Here are the recipes if you find yourself having these same leftovers.... we weekly have leftover night but I was excited to use my leftovers to make whole new meals!

Baked potato soup
4 large baked potatos (or left over mashed potatos)
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. flour
6 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
4 green onions (I didn't use these b/c I didn't have any.)
12 slices of bacon, friend and crumbled (I used ham steak, broiled and cut in cubes)
2 c. shredded chedder cheeser ( I served it on top of the soup.)
1 c. sour cream

Cut potatos in half. Scoop out pulp and put in small bowl. Melt butter in large kettle. Add flour. Gradually stir in milk. Continue to stir until smooth, thickened and bubbly. Stir in potato pulp, salt, pepper, onions, meat and cheese if you want. Cook until heated. Stir in sour cream. It was great with the croutons too!

Beef Paprika
leftover roast cut up
olive oil
1 small onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 c. water
1/2 c. ketchup
2 T brownsugar
1 t. paprika
1 T. worcestershire sauce
1 t Dijon mustartd

Sautee onion and garlic in oil. Add meat to heat through. Mix sauce in bowl and pour over meat. Simmer until thick and heated through. (The only think I really measured was the water and ketchup ... everything else was a squeeze or a dash. )
Posted by Picasa

No comments: