Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Revolutionary War birthday

How we do birthdays...
homemade decorations
(Grace made this "Hape Brfda Nathan" sign 
plus the flags for on our table.)


Dinner (menu planned by birthday child) with
grandparents on actual birthday.
Our dinner table was British on one side (red)
and Colonists (blue) on the other side.
The middle of the table was decorated with
some of Nathan's Revolutionary War drawings
and some figurines that were part of his birthday gift.




I loved this idea ... cannon balls for dessert! (oreo balls)


There were lots of smiles and giggles last night
as we celebrated Nathan's life
and how much we love him.
Nathan is with my mom above and
below with Aunt Kathy and Uncle Bill.


Matt's parents are in FL for the winter and chose
not to come for Nathan's birthday.  Nathan
asked Aunt Kathy and Uncle Bill to join us.
We love them dearly and they are so sweet to us.
It was fun having them join us to celebrate!


what a perfect gift for the boy who loves to 
dress up and pretend play ... 
Nathan had been asking me and my mom for months
to make him a dress up outfit like this ...
little did he know my mom had ordered him
one for his birthday.
(he has it on this morning ... and we are going to
our home school co-op and his 8yr old check up today)


We gave him Liberty Kids dvd set and
these Continental Army and British Army men
with cannons.
Grace and I made Nathan this "Live free or die!"
drawstring bag to keep the men in.





I make Nathan and Grace something special
to wear on their birthdays.
This year, I took a photo of one of Nathan's drawings
of a Continental Army General ... added "Minute Man Nathan"
and had Walmart turn it into a t-shirt.
You should have seen the look on his face when I 
showed it to him and he saw his own drawing on it!


I add to this banner a new photo each year!
(I personally love this "decoration"!)
I also make a movie of the last year for us to watch at the"party".
The four of us watch all of the movies for the birthday child
from year one to present on the days leading up to their birthday.
(This is a sweet tradition!)
I used to put out their scrapbooks at their party for family to 
look through ... but this mommy has gotten behind on scrapbooks!

There you have it ... our simple way to celebrate our children!
Happy Birthday Nathan!



1 comment:

Lucinda said...

I really like your birthday traditions. In fact I might bring some of them into our family! I especially love the video tradition and the photo banner. Can I ask, what are the coloured rings on the banner? Is it just coloured cardstock on which the photos are mounted or are they frames? It's my son's 9th birthday in a couple of weeks, I'd love to make him one :-)